- AL-QAADIR “Have they not seen that ALLAH, Who created the heavens and the earth and was not wearied by their creation, is Able to give life to the dead? Aye, He verily is Able to do all things” Quran (46:33). The Able, The Capable, The One attributed with Power. Every thing whatsoever is in the heavens or in the earth or in between them submits to His will. There is none Who can deny His Dominant Power and His Capability to give life and death. Islam, the religion of submission was the same Religion that ALLAH had given to all His Prophets in the ages of History. As ALLAH Himself says in Quran (2:130-133) “And who forsaketh the Religion of Abraham save him who befooleth himself? Verily We chose him in the world, and lo! In the Hereafter he is among the righteous. When his Lord said unto him: Surrender (Thy will to Me)! he said: I have surrendered (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe. The same did Abraham enjoin upon his sons, and also Jacob, (saying): O my sons! Lo! ALLAH hath chosen for you the (True) Religion; therefore die not save as men who have surrendered (unto Him). Or were ye present when death came to Jacob, when he said unto his sons: What will ye worship after me? They said: We shall worship thy God, the God of thy fathers, Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac, the One (True) ALLAH, and unto Him we have surrendered.” Quran further says (3:83) “Is it then other than ALLAH’s Religion (Islam, submission to His will) that they seek (to follow), and to Him submits whoever is in the heavens and the earth, willingly or unwillingly, and to Him shall they be returned.” ‘ADAR “Great in Power” Exodus (15:6) NLV.
- AL-MALEEK “As to the Righteous, they will be in the midst of Gardens and Rivers, In an Assembly of Truth, in the Presence of a Sovereign Omnipotent” Quran (54:54-55). The Sovereign, The Supreme Ruler, The Superior, The True King. MALAK’ “God reigns over the nations” Psl (47:8).
- AL-MUQTADIR “ALLAH is the holder of power over all things” Quran (18:45). The Powerful, the Mighty, the Dominant One, ALLAH the One with the perfect Power that nothing is withheld from Him. He Dominates over all things, there is none to compare with Him and to share with Him. He is the One Who is Alone without any associate. ADDIYR The Mighty, the Powerful, see in Isaiah (33:21), Psalms (8:1) and (8:9).
- AL-MUSTA’AAN “Our Lord is the Beneficent ALLAH, Whose help is to be implored against that which ye ascribe (unto Him false deities)” Quran (21:112). The Giver of Refuge and Protection. He is the One from Whom protection or help is sought. MATSUWD’ “My Protection” Psalms (18:2).
- AL-MUQADDIM The Promoter, The Expediter, ALLAH is the One Who leaves behind and brings forward whomever He wills. He Who puts things in a very right place. He makes ahead what He wills and delays what He wills as in Quran (16:61) “He respites them till an appointed time”. He is the One Who adjusts all affairs as He likes and there is none to ask Him about His acts, as ALLAH says in Quran (74:14-15) “To whom I made (life) smooth and comfortable! Yet is he greedy – That I should add (yet more)”. The Prophet Mohammed (Peace be upon him) used to invoke ALLAH in late-night prayer as, “You are Al-Muqaddim” (the One Who puts things in a very right place).29 M’QADIYM He Who promotes, Psalms (78:26).
- AL-MU’AKHKHIR “He (Noah) said: O my people! Lo! I am a plain Warner unto you that ye should worship ALLAH, fear Him and obey me: He will forgive you some of your faults and grant you a delay to an appointed term. Lo! The term of ALLAH, when it cometh, cannot be delayed, if ye but knew” Quran (71:2-4). The Delayer, the Retarder, the One Who delays the chastisement. MUWCAR The One Who chastises – Isaiah (26:16).
- AL-‘AWWAL “He is the First” Quran (57:3). The One Who’s Existence is without any beginning. RI’SHOWN “The First” Isaiah (48:12).
- AL-AKHIR “The Last” Quran (57:3). The Eternal, the One Who’s Existence is without any end. ‘ACHAROWN “The Last” Isaiah (48:12).
- AZ-ZAAHIR “Ascendant (over all) and the Knower of hidden things, and He is Cognizant of all things” Quran (57:3). The Manifest, The Evident, He Who can be perceived through His creations or He the One Who is recognised through His acts. He is the most Exalted, His Existence is obvious by proofs and He is clear from the delusions of attributes of His creation. ZARAH The One Who Manifest- Isaiah (60:2).
- AL-BAATIN “The Hidden” Quran (57:3). The One that nothing is above Him and nothing is underneath Him, hence He exists without a place. He is the Highly Exalted, His Existence is obvious by proofs and He is clear from the delusions of attributes of bodies. As in Quran (6:103) “Vision comprehends Him not, and He comprehends (all) vision; and He is the Knower of subtleties, the Aware”. He created every manifest and hidden things, He alone knows the inward and outward. BETEN Inward- Psalms (139:13) and Job (32:18).
- AL-MAWLAA “Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith” Quran (2:286). “He is the Supreme, (watching) from above over His worshippers, and He sets guardians over you. At length, when death approaches one of you, Our angels take his soul, and they never fail in their duty. Then are men returned unto ALLAH, their Protector, the (only) Reality: Is not His the command? And He is the swiftest in taking account” Quran (6:61-62). “He is your Protector – the Best to protect and the Best to help!” Quran (22:78). The Protector, The Deliverer, The Saviour, The Preserver, The One Who Protects His creation from every harm and distress. MAWLAT’ “(He) Will Save him in times of trouble” Psalms (41:1).
LI "He knows all that is beyond the reach of a created being's perception as well as all that can be witnessed by a creature's senses or mind -- the Great One, the One far above anything that is or could ever be!" Quran (13:9). The Most Exalted, The Highly Exalted, The One Who is High above from the attributes of His creation. MAAL “God is high above heaven” Deut (4:39).
- AL-BARR “Verily, we did invoke Him [alone] ere this: [and now He has shown us] that He alone is Truly benign, a True dispenser of grace!” Quran (52:28). ALLAH the Source of all Goodness and Blessings, The One Who bestows, The One Who is kind to His creatures and covered them with His sustenance and specified whomever He wills among them by His support and with His mercy. BARAKAH “May You bring happiness to Your people!” Psalms (3:8).
- AT-TAWWAAB “Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent toward us. Lo! Thou, Only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful” Quran (2:128). “Know they not that ALLAH is He Who accepteth repentance from His bondmen and taketh the alms, and that ALLAH is He Who is the Relenting, the Merciful” Quran (9:104). ALLAH- He is the One Who alone can accept repentance. TUWB “I will have loving-kindness and loving- pity for anyone I want to” Exodus (33:19).
- AL-MUNTAQIM “And who doth greater wrong than he who is reminded of the Revelations of his Lord, then he turns away from them? Surely We will give punishment to the guilty” Quran (32:22). The Avenger, The One Who victoriously prevails over His enemies and punishes them for their sins. MAW’AC The One Who cast His enemies away and reject them completely as in Psalms (78:59) “When God heard, He was filled with wrath And greatly abhorred Israel”. Also in Hosea (9:17) “My God will cast them away, because they did not hearken unto Him”.
- AL-‘AFUWW “For these, there is hope that ALLAH will forgive: For ALLAH doth blot out (sins) and forgive again and again” Quran (4:99). The Mighty Forgiver, The Constant Forgiver, He the One Who alone is capable to forgive sins again and again. APHIEMI “Who can forgive sins but God (ALAH- ) alone” Mark (2:7).
- AR-RA’UF “ALLAH is Compassionate to the servants” Quran (3:30). The Most Compassionate, The One with extreme Mercy. ALLAH endows His mercy and help upon whomever He wills. ROPHE “Your Healer” Exodus (15:26).
- MALI-KAL-MULK “Say: O ALLAH, Master of the Kingdom! Thou givest the kingdom to whom so ever Thou pleasest and takest away the kingdom from whomsoever Thou pleasest, and Thou exaltest whom Thou pleasest and abasest whom Thou pleasest in Thine Hand is the Good; Surely, Thou hast power over all things” Quran (3:26). MASHAL`ALKOLMAMLAKAH “Ruler over all the kingdoms”-2Ch-20:6. Dan 5:21-“The Most High (ALAH: ) God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that He appointeth over it whomsoever He will”.
- AL-MUQSIT “ALLAH [Himself] proffers evidence and [so do] the angels and all who are endowed with knowledge – that there is no deity save Him, the Upholder of Equity: there is no deity save Him, the Almighty, the Truly Wise” Quran (3:18). The Upholder of Equity, The Firm in Justice, The One Who is Just in His judgment. MISHPAT “Judgment belongs to God” Deut-1:17.
- AL-JAAM’I “Our Lord! Thou art He that will gather mankind together against a day about which there is no doubt; Lo! ALLAH never fails in His promise” Quran (3:9). The Gatherer of all, The One Who gathers and Judge with equity. “God will gather you” Deuteronomy (30:4).
- AL-MUGHNI “ALLAH shall preserve you of His bounty if He will. Lo! ALLAH is Knower, Wise” Quran (9:28). The Enlarger, The full of Bounty, The Enricher, Who alone can preserve; He is the One Who satisfies the necessities of all His creatures. MAGANE “He is our help and our safe cover” Psalms (33:20).
- AL-WAALIY “It is ALLAH Who has raised the heavens without any supports that you could see, and is established on the Throne of His Almightiness; and He it is Who has made the sun and the moon subservient to His laws, each running its course for a term set by Him. He governs all that exists. Explaining the signs in detail that ye may believe with certainty in the meeting with your Lord” Quran (Ar-Rad 13:2). SHALLIYT’ “God (ALAH- ) is ruler over the realm of mankind” Daniel (5:21).
- AN-NOOR “ALLAH is the Light of the heavens and the earth” Quran (24:35). The True Light, The One Who guides towards the right path. ‘ORE “Light” Psalms (27:1).
- AL-QAYYIM The Maintainer, The One Who Set up His creation and maintains the same. The Prophet of ALLAH, Muhammad (Peace be upon him) used to say in late-night prayer: “O ALLAH! All Praise belongs to You; You are Noor (the Light) of the heavens and the earth and all that is within them. All Praise is due to You, You are Qayyim (the Keeper) of the heavens and the earth and all that is within them.”30 ‘ALAH-SHAMAYIN-QUWM (Aramaic) “The God (ALAH- ) of heaven set up a kingdom” Da-2:44.
- AL-BAAD’I “Wonderful Originator of the heavens and the earth, and when He decrees an affair, He only says to it, Be, so there it is” Quran (2:117). “Wonderful Originator of the heavens and the earth! How could He have a son when He has no consort, and He (Himself) created everything, and He is the Knower of all things” Quran (6:101). The Incomparable, The Magnificent Creator of all. “The God ( ) is of Incomparable” Eph (2:7).
- AL-BAAQI “But forever will Abide Thy Sustainers Self, Full of Majesty and Glory” Quran (55:27). The Reality of ALLAH as in Quran (28:88): “Every- thing is bound to perish, save His [Eternal] Self”. ALLAH is the One Who Abides forever and ever. “The Everlasting God ( )” Romans (16:26).
- AL-WAARITH “And verily, it is We Who give life, and Who give death: it is We Who remain Inherited (after all else passes away)” Quran (15:23). The Supreme Inheritor, The True Inheritor, The One Who’s Existence remains; He is the One Who gives inheritance to whomsoever He Wills. YARASH “God giveth you to possess it” Psl-37:22
- AD-DAYYAAN The True Final Supreme Judge, The Messenger of ALLAH, Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) said, “ALLAH (Mighty and Glorious is He) will gather the people (on the day of judgement), and call them with a Voice which will be heard by those who will be far away and those who will be near, by saying, ‘I Am Al-Malik (the True and Only King), I Am Ad-Dayyaan (the True and Final Supreme Judge of all).”31 DAYAN “(He) the One to Judge between you and me” 1 Samuel (24:15).
We have witnessed the glaring and illustrating reality of the Sacred and Beautiful Names of ALLAH co-existing in the Quran, Hadith, and Bible. In spite of linguistic differentiation, we find the wonderful similarity both from phonetic and connotative point of view.
It is time that we take to heart, the call of ALLAH. We should give the required attention and response to the global, universal, humanistic and forward-looking call.
As stressed by the Holy Quran (2:21) “O mankind! Serve your Guardian-Lord Who created you and those before you so that you may guard (against evil)”. And it also calls upon mankind (35:3) “O mankind! Call to mind the favour of ALLAH on you; is there any creator besides ALLAH who gives you sustenance from the heaven and the earth? There is no God but He; whence are you then turned away?”
“The Tauhid” affirms Annemarie Schimmel, “the acknowledgment of God’s Unity was to remain the heart of Islam in whichever way it was understood, and the only sin that cannot be forgiven is shrik, ‘associating something to God.'”
“The duty of human beings is to surrender to this Unique, Omnipotent God, the Merciful, the Compassionate; to surrender from the bottom of one’s heart, with one’s whole soul and one’s entire mind. The word ‘Islam’ means this complete surrender to the Divine Will; and the one who practices such surrender is a Muslim” (Islam: An Introduction, State University, NY, 1992, p.14).
Thus, “Islam is not a new religion founded by Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was chosen by God to deliver His Message of Peace, namely Islam. He was born in Arabia, and was entrusted with the Message of Islam when he was at the age of forty years. The revelation that he received is called Koran, while the Message is called Islam (A peaceful way of surrendering to God). Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is the very last Prophet of God to mankind. He is the final Messenger of God. His Message was also to the Christians, the Jews and the rest of mankind. He was sent to those religious people to inform them about the true mission of Jesus, Moses, Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham (Peace be upon them). Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is considered to be the summation and the culmination of all the Prophets and Messengers that came before him. He purified the previous
Messages from adulteration and completed the Message of God for all humanity. He was entrusted with the power of explaining, interpreting and living the teaching of the Koran”- (Oracle Education Library, Thinkquest.org, Under Koran and Islam, USA, 1999).
The message given by ALLAH to humanity through His last Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), Al-Quran reminds us about the presence of an Omnipresent and Omnipotent Authority Who is ever ready to fulfil man’s hopes and aspirations. The very concept of Unity of God and Mankind activates the intellect of the man to create enormous urge to take to the Right path abandoning atheism, polytheism and association.
The teachings of the Holy Quran are simple and universal. The principle of Universal Brotherhood has been stressed time after time in the teachings of Islam.
Thus, one has to embrace this message and Prophethood of Muhammad (Peace be upon him) who has clearly conveyed the Divine guidance to guide and regulate the human conduct and behaviour in all walks of life in accordance with the teachings and principles of Islam, as envisaged in the Holy Quran (Laws of ALLAH) and Hadith (Teachings of Prophet). This advocates a God-bound society but ideal, dynamic and justly balanced society, which is an essentiality for humanity so that man may live a Pure, Peaceful and Purposeful life.
We close this elucidation of ALLAH’s Sacred and Beautiful Names by opening the gates of Divine Message and Guidance as envisaged by the Holy Quran (59:24) “He is ALLAH, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colours). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory, and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise”.
“And thus (O Prophet Muhammad, on whom be peace) Proclaim the Message (of ALLAH)! Verily, verily, your ALLAH is One! – Lord of the heavens and of the earth and all between them, and Lord of every point at the rising of the sun!” (Quran 37:3-5).
O ALLAH, bestow favours on Prophet Muhammad (Sall ALLAH Hu Alaihi Wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) and on the family of Prophet Muhammad (Sall ALLAH Hu Alaihi Wa Aalihi Wa Sallam) as you had bestowed favours on Prophet Abraham and on the family of Prophet Abraham. Verily You are the Praised, the Glorious.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica: http://www.britannica.co.uk
- BBC World Service, Bush House, London UK : http://www.bbc.co.uk
- Wikipedia encyclopaedia: Jimmy Wales, 2003. http://en.Wikipedia.org/ wiki/Samaritan_Hebrew_language.
- Mankind’s search for God / Brooklyn, N.Y., U.S.A.: Watchtower
Bible and Tract Society of New York: International Bible Students Association, c1990 (BL80.2 .M2853 1990).
- Ibid: 3.
- Andrews University, Michigan, 2005, Lesson 2: On-Line Hebrew.
- Tractate Succah 49a; See Jerusalem, Eye of the Universe, Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, chapter
- The Holy Tongue Canon Michael Lewis Ed, This article appeared in The Hebrew Catholic No: 78, pg. 23.
- Encyclopedia of Thelema, 2005, Ecclesia Gnostica Universalis.
- C. L. Seow, A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1987), p. 19.
- Ethelyn Simon, The first Hebrew primer for adults, 2nd ed. (Oakland, CA: EKS Publishing Company, 1983), p. 48.
- The standard Hebrew grammar, E. Kautzsch, Gesenius’ Hebrew Grammar, 2nd English ed., A. E. Cowley, trans. (London: Oxford University Press, 1910, 1976), pp. 398, 399.
- Ibid: 4.
- The Mythology of All Races, Vol. 5, pp. 42-43.
- Dr. Pastor Cohen G. Reckart, Yahweh is a pagan name 1986:www.jesus-messiah.com
- Torah (Taurat) the word of Almighty ALLAH revealed upon Prophet Moses (Peace be upon him).
- Psalms (Zabur) the word of Almighty ALLAH revealed upon Prophet David (Peace be upon him) after the contamination of Torah (Taurat).
- Gospel (Injeel) the word of Almighty ALLAH revealed upon Prophet Jesus (Peace be upon him) after the contamination of Psalms (Zabur).
- Quran the word of Almighty ALLAH revealed upon the last Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) after the contamination of Gospel (Injeel). It is the last revelation of ALLAH for the guidance of entire creation, and ALLAH Himself took its responsibility for its preservation, as He said in Quran (15:9) “We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption)”.
- Calligraphy of “The Most Beautiful Names of ALLAH,” by Tosun Bayrak al-Jerrahi al-Halveti, Threshold Books, 1985.
- Sunan Tirmidhi (5/530, Hadeeth No: 3507), by Imaam Tirmidhi.